With the colder months here, we’re spending more time inside and on the couch with the TV on. I have to confess that I love spending a free Saturday afternoon watching a movie with the fire roaring while the snow swirls around outside. And what goes best with movies? Popcorn, of course! If you`re a fan of kale chips, you`ll love this Lemony Kale Popcorn. The kale and lemon add just the right bite to make this a perfect, healthy snack. And if you have a big group, roast some extra kale and serve chips alongside. They are super easy to make and if you love potato chips, this will help you make the switch. Their crunchy goodness is addictive!
- ½ bunch kale, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Make sure kale is completely dry and then toss with olive oil and salt.
- Place on baking sheet and cook until crispy; about 11 minutes. Stir once or twice during cooking and be careful not to burn it. Remove and let cool.
- Place cooled kale in food processor along with lemon zest and grind into a fine powder. Add to prepared popcorn.
This trail mix was so yummy! Of course I had to do a taste test to make sure I’m bring you delicious recipes – ok – maybe a little more than a taste test. Yes, I ate that whole bowl! With each handful you get a different mix of flavours – the sweetness of the mango, the crunch of walnuts, and the addition of coconut flakes really takes it over the top. I added cinnamon on top as well but some of you may decide to skip that step. If you can find it, organic popcorn is best. Did you know that a 3 cup serving of air-popped popcorn has a mere 93 calories and a whopping 3 grams of dietary fibre! You can munch away guilt free while watching your favorite movies. Cheers!
- 5 cups popped popcorn
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- ½ cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots or dried mango
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Add popcorn to large bowl and pour coconut oil over top. Sprinkle cinnamon and salt over top and stir to coat. Add remaining ingredients to bowl and stir to mix.