Sometimes chocolate alone just won’t do, which is why I’ve added irresistible hazelnut chocolate spread to these cupcakes. Decorate with hazelnuts for extra crunch.
Hazelnut Torte Cupcakes
Go nuts for these hazelnut and chocolate cupcakes!
- For the cupcakes
- 175 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs free-range or organic
- 200 g self-raising flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp milk
- 12 tsp Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- For the buttercream
- 300 g good-quality milk chocolate
- 60 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole muffin tray with muffin cases.
- In a bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until the mixture is pale and smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing briefly after each addition. Gradually beat in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and then the milk.
- Heat the Nutella in a small pan on the hob until very slightly warm. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cases, to about two-thirds full. Spoon a teaspoonful of the warmed Nutella on top of each and gently swirl it through the batter with a skewer or small spoon. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until raised and golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the cakes comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in their tin for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate either in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water on the hob, or in a microsafe bowl in the microwave (heat on a medium heat for 1 minute, stir and then heat for a further minute, taking care not to burn the chocolate). When the chocolate is melted and runny, pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the double cream, butter and vanilla extract and beat well with an electric hand mixer. Beat in the Nutella until the icing is smooth and creamy. It should be suitable to use straight away, but if it is a little runny put it into the fridge for half an hour or so.
- Pipe the buttercream on the cooled cupcakes using a str nozzle and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.