This is one of my very favorite meals! Who doesn’t love the combination of shrimp, tomatoes, onions, garlic and fresh herbs? Top it with some yummy feta and I’m in heaven! I know lots of you are shrimp lovers so I would love to hear if you’ve made this dish in the past. The difference with my recipe is the heat! I love to marinate the shrimp first with some garlic, ginger, Asian chili sauce and pepper. It gives you that little extra oomph with each bite and takes the recipe over the top.
It’s as simple as sautéing your ingredients in your saucepan, pouring them into a dish (pic above), sprinkling with some feta cheese and baking for 10 minutes. By baking the tomatoes and shrimp together for a short time, you fuse the flavours and it results in a scrumptious, saucy, messy delight. I used cherry tomatoes because they have that touch of sweetness in them but you can use any tomato that you like best.
This will make a great appetizer or you can mix it with some pasta for a fabulous dinner. I eat if for dinner just as is all the time. If serving a large party, take it easy on the Asian chili sauce because not everyone likes the heat in their food. You can make one big dish or use some ramekins for individual dishes if your party is small.
This meal is great at any time of year and it’s a real bonus that you can do all but the baking ahead of time. If you’ve resolved to eat healthier in the new year, this dish will help you. It looks so rich and decadent yet it’s full of healthy goodness and nutrition with no refined sugar and yucky preservatives.
For those of you have been reading my blog for awhile now, you may remember that I made this dish early when I first bought my camera. If you want a good chuckle, take a peek at this old post – too funny! I am glad my photography skills have improved somewhat!
This recipe will also be part of a HEALTHY ROUND UP that I will post on Monday with 5 of my favorite food bloggers to bring you some fantastic recipes to start off the new year. Lots of fresh and nutritious dishes to help you begin with a bang. Cheers!
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- ½ Tablespoon of minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon of Asian chili garlic sauce (optional)
- dash of freshly ground pepper
- ½ pound shrimp
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red onion (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic (sliced thinly or use minced)
- 20 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 splash of dry white wine (about ¼ cup)
- splash of ouzo (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large handful parsley (chopped)
- ½ cup feta (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix shrimp marinade ingredients together and add shrimp. Let sit until time to be added.
- Heat oil in sauté pan and add onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato, oregano, ouzo and white wine and simmer until tomatoes burst and sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 30 seconds per side.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Put entire mixture in a baking dish and sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Bake in oven until you see the edges bubbling, between 10 -15 minutes.