Easter will be here before you know it and this is the fourth recipe in the menu series to help you with decisions from appetizers to desserts. Most importantly, I want to keep it simple and fresh for you. With the beautiful weather on the way, you don’t want to spend the day inside slaving away when you can have a gorgeous dinner with little work.
My last dish was the Maple Orange Garlic Glazed Ham and what better side dish than roasted carrots? Tri-colored organic carrots! Roasting intensifies the flavor and when you add fresh herbs – well, you all know what I’m going to say!
This dish couldn’t be any simpler and when you buy organic, you don’t even need to peel them – just give them a good scrub. A lot of a carrot’s nutrients are in the skin and just beneath it but if you can’t find organic, no worries because the carrot still has lots of nutrients left in it. The fact that a carrot’s peel and its flesh are the same color is an indicator that the two parts of the vegetable have a similar nutritional value.
A little oil, salt and pepper and you’re good to go. You have two choices when serving these. You can add some fresh herbs such as dill, Italian parsley, chives, chervil or tarragon and mix well or you can bring some butter to a foaming boil in a saucepan, mix them with the roasted carrots and then add your herbs. I’ll leave that choice to you because you know the easiest way to get your picky eaters to eat their veggies.
I love the colour that this adds to the table and by cooking at a high heat, they’ll be done in 15 minutes. I cooked these while the ham was resting. The other side dishes I have prepared for you are equally easy and fresh. Well, one is rather decadent because after a few experiments I’ve come to the conclusion that some things are just not meant to be messed with!
Just before Easter I will publish a roundup of all the recipes so you’ll have them all in one place. I’ve tried to ensure that this dinner isn’t a budget buster while still feeling like a feast. How do you prepare your carrots? Would love to hear your fresh ideas! Cheers!
- 1 pound of organic, tri-colored carrots, scrubbed, sliced lengthwise. (larger ones will need to be sliced 3 or more times)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter (optional)
- small handful of fresh herbs such as Italian parsley, chervil, chives, tarragon and dill
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Place carrots on baking sheet, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper, being sure to coat evenly.
- Roast until desired tenderness. Test with knife to ensure carrot pierces easily - 10-15 minutes.
- Let rest for a couple minutes before tossing with fresh herbs and serve.
- If desired, melt 1 tablespoon of butter until foaming, add carrots and mix well until coated. Remove from heat, add herbs and turn into serving bowl.
Other recommended dishes for your Easter Menu: