I started out writing this post by saying, ‘crostinis are one of my favourite foods’ and then I realized I say that about shrimp, meatballs, salmon, berries, tomatoes….the list goes on and on. I guess I feel passionate about all the things I make and this one is no exception and best of all, it falls under the quick, easy and healthy category.
This isn’t your average appetizer. I’ve thrown some orange zest and garlic in there and with the added fresh mint and chives, the flavours are out of this world. You can put the tomato on and lay the asparagus on top or you can chop them into smaller pieces and mix them together for more of a bruschetta style (or do both like I did). It will depend on your patience that day because it takes a little more time to assemble them this way but it was worth it – don’t they look cute!
I used both boccocini cheese and goat cheese simply because I had a little of both and wanted to use it up. They were equally delicious. You can drizzle a little more olive oil on it before you serve if you like but I find if you’re serving to guests this can get kind of messy on the fingers and they won’t present so well on the plate after awhile. If you’re just having them with your partner at home, – go with it!
Add a nice cool bottle of chardonnay and you’ve got yourself a party. Speaking of parties….this dish was made especially for Michelle at Healthy Recipe Ecstasy and the virtual baby shower we’re throwing today. Congrats, Michelle, Alasdair and Alex!
I’d love to hear what kind of apps you do for your parties. I’m learning more and more about just how talented the readers here are and that’s so exciting. Come share your creations! Until then…Cheers!
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cleaned, woody tips cut off, sliced on the diagonal
- whole grain baguette, or other bread of your choice
- fresh mozzarella, bocconcini, or goat cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced half
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- mint leaves, some minced
- chives, minced
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Cut baguette on bias, brush lightly with olive oil and bake on cookie sheet until golden. About 15 minutes.
- Blanch asparagus in salted water until tender – about 3 minutes. Let dry or use paper towels.
- Mix cherry tomatoes, asparagus, garlic, orange zest, mint, chives, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice cheese into discs and place on toasted baguette pieces.
- Place mixture on top of cheese or put individual pieces for a more finessed look.