I’ve been eyeing this recipe from BBC GoodFood for quite awhile now and first chance I got, I was off to get my veggies. I added some ingredients to this recipe and subtracted others and it was so delicious. There is something about Spring dishes with chicken and asparagus that I just can’t resist.
Yesterday I added broccolini to my grocery list, put it in my cart (despite the insane price), paid for it at the till yet it somehow disappeared from my fridge today. Don’t you hate when that happens? I honestly don’t know at what stage it disappeared but I do know I put it in the cart so I’m completely confused. So be sure you include it. I didn’t but only because I wasn’t running to the grocery store for one ingredient. If I do, I usually come out with a bunch of stuff I don’t even need so best I steer clear, ha!
A package of bone-in, skin on chicken thighs was only $3.27 and now I realize I should have bought more. Maybe I’ll be heading back to the store after all. This is such an easy recipe and takes only 45 minutes from start to finish. You can make a double batch during the week so you’ll have a leftover night.
You could serve this with coucous or brown rice to soak up those tasty juices. A loaf of twelve grain bread is a must. You could also add basil pesto in the end for an extra punch of flavor and some dollops of Greek yogurt or creme fraiche for fun. I considered it but I was loving the colours and freshness of this dish so much that I didn’t want to mess with it.
I’m really excited to announce that I’ll be teaming up with some healthy food blogger friends to do a fabulous GIVEAWAY for Mother’s Day. Stay tuned for more details to come!
As I’m typing this I’ve got an idea for a chicken and pasta dish that will be a quick and easy weeknight meal. Looks like I’ll be busy tomorrow! Spring is such an inspirational time for food. Cheers!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large (or 2 small) carrots, sliced
- 12-16 mini red potatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups broccolini or broccoli
- 1 cup petit pois peas
- 8 stalks asparagus, woody end removed, chopped into 1" pieces
- 3 spring onions, white parts, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- handful of fresh spinach, chopped
- one small baby bok choy, chopped
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
- Heat oil in large pot and cook chicken on medium high until brown. Remove to plate.
- Cook onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until onion is translucent
- Return chicken to pot and add vegetable broth, carrots, potatoes, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and add remaining ingredients. Let cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Add your basil pesto and a dollop of yogurt at this point if desired.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately.