How fun is this shaved asparagus salad?! I don’t know about you but usually I like my salads super colourful so when I looked at this recipe I was rather doubtful. Then I started thinking about the individual flavours of each ingredient and got very excited. And then I discovered that this salad is AWESOME! It’s one of the best I’ve had – seriously!
The piquant flavor of the fennel leads the way in the initial taste followed by the peppery, mustardy arugula. Then you have the sharp, refreshing bite of the granny smith apple along with gritty, fruity and nutty taste of parmesan. WHAT? All of that in one bite? WAIT! There’s more. The dressing takes it to a whole new level after that!
All of that in a little bowl of greens, you say? I speak the truth. You must try this and enjoy the surprise as much as I did. Your summer guests will gush about this and think you’re a genius! And it’s so pretty, don’t you think? (Don’t forget to sprinkle some chives on top. I forgot when I was shooting it because I was so busy doing the happy dance about the flavours, ha!)
This recipe is from Collins Cuisine. I was so delighted to discover that Jonathan created all the recipes for The Asparagus Farmers of Ontario website. He is a renowned Canadian chef and appears on many of my favorite shows. I can’t wait to try more of his creations!
What have you been doing with asparagus this Spring? I have been making the most of the fact that it’s now local but our season only lasts about 8 weeks. I’d love to see your recipes on Instagram. Share your creations with the hashtag #simplyfreshdinners and I’ll celebrate with you. Cheers!
- 1 pound of asparagus, about 20 large spears
- ¼ Fennel Bulb, fronds reserved
- 1 Cup Sorrel Leaves, loosely measured (if you can't find sorrel, use chicory or any other favorite green)
- 1 Cup Arugula Leaves, loosely measured
- ½ Granny Smith Apple
- ⅓ Cup Freshly Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice of ½ Lemon, about 2 Tablespoons
- ¼ Cup Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 6-7 Chives, finely diced
- Toss together the sorrel and arugula leaves and spread out onto a serving platter or salad bowl.
- Slice the fennel and the apple as thinly as possible. Cut the sliced apple again into matchsticks. Add to the greens.
- Snap woody ends of the asparagus spears and wash well. Working with 1 asparagus spear at a time, use a vegetable peeler to cut spears into long, thin shavings. Top the salad with the shaved asparagus.
- In a small bowl or a mason jar with a lid, combine the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk or shake well in the jar. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as necessary. Pour over prepared salad.
- Sprinkle over diced chives, reserved fennel fronds and with the vegetable peeler, slice over long parmesan shavings to serve.