In the dark days of winter it’s nice to have some color, spice and zest into our meals to remind us that summer is not so far away – this Pasta Winter Slaw with Spicy Korean Dressing delivers just what you need right now!
Just because there is three feet of snow in the yard does not mean we have to eat heavy, brown meals every day. The beauty of this salad is that it uses seasonal vegetables and the dressing adds some much needed zing to our taste buds after so much comfort food.
Using Chickapea Pasta ensures that it’s healthy as well and the extra fiber and protein that you are adding to your diet is a bonus.
This is another great recipe to clean out the fridge of leftover vegetables. Switch it up and serve this delicious slaw with chicken or shrimp to create a great dinner.
If you’re not a fan of water chestnuts, replace them with peanuts or cashews for that added crunch. The jalapeno is totally optional. If you don’t like the heat or have little ones just leave it out.
I’ve included a pic of Chickapea Pasta so that you can recognize it when you see it on the shelves in February. I’m so excited that this healthy product will be available in stores in the US! It’s also on Amazon here. I love that so many people with dietary issues can now have a pasta that actually tastes like pasta! And for me, I needed a healthy pasta cos I’m just plain addicted to the stuff, ha! Thank you, Chickapea for the healthy, guilty free indulgence!
I used both kale and spinach because we can’t get too many nutrients in us during the cold and flu season. I always have spinach on hand and toss it in everything – soups, salads, stir fries – you name it.
What are you doing to add some colour and spice to your meals these days? I know it can be a challenge with time and fewer seasonal vegetables available. Share your ideas with me on Instagram with the hashtag #simplyfreshdinners so I can share with my readers. Cheers!
NOTE: This post is sponsored by Chickapea but my love for their fabulous products is all my own!
Pasta Winter Slaw with Spicy Korean Dressing
In the dark days of winter we need to introduce some color, spice and zest into our meals to remind us that summer is not so far away – this Winter Slaw with Spicy Korean Dressing delivers just what you need right now!
- 1 227 g.(½ lb) package of Chickapea Pasta (spirals)
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- ½ head of purple cabbage, (about 3 cups) quartered and sliced thinly
- 1 cup baby spinach, stems removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup Tuscan kale, middle stem removed, sliced into thin strips
- ½ cup of matchstick carrots
- ? of a red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips and halved
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- ½ cup water chestnuts
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of light sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey (raw if you have it)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Chickapea Pasta according to directions. Drain and cool.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in large bowl; stirring well to combine. Add jalapeno, cabbage, spinach, kale, carrots, bell pepper, green onions and water chestnuts. Toss lightly.
- Top with chopped cilantro and serve.