I was at Barrie Hill Farms last weekend where I picked up some blueberries for one of my upcoming recipes and I snapped a few pics of the beautiful produce in their store. Each time I go to the market I am amazed at all the fresh fruits and vegetables, the unique sauces, syrups, pickles, fresh cut flowers – it’s heaven! The summer produce is so good for us and eating locally grown foods definitely makes a big difference in flavour, in my opinion.
Or maybe I just need to move closer to Mindy so I could shop in her big, beautiful garden! I promise to bring a new dish each time, Mindy! Can you imagine me rolling into your backyard with my grocery cart? ha!
This is a quick and easy appetizer that requires no cooking except for toasting the bread. I went with some decadent Italian bread and I have to admit it was yummy, lol. I’ve made some summer meatball subs for a future post and I promise a healthier bread for that one.
This recipe comes from Canadian Living with a few changes. They blanched the asparagus but I didn`t cook it at all. I used my potato peeler to remove the skin to get rid of that woody flavour and then cut it into small pieces. I prefer the crispy freshness of it raw. Delicious!
The ricotta cheese compliments the asparagus and radishes perfectly with some lemon juice and zest with the addition of fresh chives. I find that so many appetizers are heavy these days and if I want to eat my main course, I have to go light on the apps. This is the perfect solution and I think it will appeal to the kids too.
I hope you`ll try this tasty treat for your get-togethers this summer or just a fun afternoon snack. Cheers!
PS. I`m taking a little holiday so won`t be around much next week. I`ll be peeking in from time to time but it`s time for some more summer fun! Hope you`re all enjoying your this wonderful weather as well!
- 15 thick Baguette slices
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed, peeled and cut diagonally in small pieces
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- On baking sheet, drizzle baguette slices with oil; bake in 400ºF oven until crispy and light golden, about 6 minutes. Turn halfway through if you want both sides browned. Rub tops with cut sides of garlic halves. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta, chives, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice,and the pepper; set aside. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead)
- Toss together asparagus, radishes, and remaining lemon juice. Top crostini with ricotta mixture, then asparagus mixture.