While Fall is quickly approaching it sure doesn’t seem like it weather-wise. It’s been hotter this week than it has been all summer. I’ve got the perfect solution for that with a refreshing drink and autumn flavours!
I’m slowly starting to adjust to the idea that the cooler weather is on the way and I’m realizing that, while I fight it every year, once we start making those yummy comfort foods it all becomes easier.
Plums are so good for you and I’ve come up with a recipe for the leftover plums from this project because I went way overboard with the number I purchased. The recipe is only in my head so far and we’ll see if it actually works, ha! And you know it’s going to have seafood in it!
You just know that the fresh plums are going to make this extra tasty when you combine them with pure apple juice and cranberry juice. Toss in the flavours of vanilla bean and some cloves and you’ve got something special.
And I definitely needed a special drink for this event. I’m so excited to share it with you but not quite yet. You’ll be reading about it in a future post at the end of this month.
The great thing about sangrias is that you can be very creative with your ingredients and it’s pretty hard to mess it up. You’ll want to include a fruity wine and pure juices. You don’t want to be packing your drinks with sugar. These plums were quite sweet but if you get some that lean more to the tart side just be sure to limit the number you use.
Any kind of edible flower makes a nice addition and you can include a cinnamon stick to stir. I love the colour of these drinks and they’ll be great with most any appetizers. Are you planning some entertaining for the Fall or are you all partied out and getting ready to hibernate?
If you want a non-alcoholic drink, skip the wine and add a little club soda. Delicious either way. Cheers!
- 2 teaspoons of whole cloves
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 32 ounce bottle of pure apple juice
- 32 ounce bottle of pure cranberry juice
- 4-6 plums, pitted and sliced
- 1 750 milliliter bottle of fruity white wine
- Place cloves and vanilla bean in center of a double-thick 6-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring corners of cloth together; tie closed with clean string. Pour apple and cranberry juice into a large container or pitcher. Add plums and spice bag. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Remove and discard cheesecloth bag. Stir in wine. Serve beverage and plum slices over ice. (Or omit the ice and heat the juice mixture and wine in a 4-quart Dutch oven until hot. Serve in heatproof mugs.) Makes 10 to 12 servings.