Here I go with the tomatoes again! Sorry, but I can’t help it – it’s Spring and I’m adding them to everything I make. Just wait until they start growing in my garden – then it’s going to be out of control!
I’ve been craving Mediterranean flavours lately and at first I thought I was going to make it with scallops but I couldn’t quite wrap my head around a recipe. I was browsing through the dishes at Good Food in the UK and came across this one that piqued my interest. I liked most of the ingredients but the cooking method seemed unnecessarily long and I couldn’t quite understand why the heck they included sweet potato and zucchini! In the end, my dish turned out very differently but their recipe certainly got me started in the right direction.
This recipe could not be any easier! Just chop and mix the ingredients together and drizzle with a mixture of olive oil, crushed garlic and honey and into the oven it goes. I cut the feta cheese into fairly large pieces and it will hold it’s shape under the heat but will be nice and creamy inside. Cutting it into larger pieces allows you to reheat it later if you have some leftover.
I liked the idea of baking them in small ramekins because it’s nice to serve individual portions and then you avoid those dreaded double-dippers! You can use pita chips, naan, tortilla chips or your favourite cracker. I used mini-pitas and it’s fun to stuff it inside and pop it into your mouth – less messy, too!
I used fresh dill and tarragon in this dish but if you don’t like their strong flavours, parsley would be a perfect partner as well.
This recipe is for my blogger friends, Anita and Nina. I know they both love their Mediterranean flavours and hopefully they will want to try this recipe. I was thrilled with the result and I think it will make an excellent appetizer for summer parties. You can prepare it ahead of time and toss it in the oven when your guests arrive.
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons Kalamata olives, chopped (I left a couple olives whole)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced (I used 2 cloves but I’m a garlic nut)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced, or 2 small red pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 pound feta cheese (not crumbled)
- 2 tablespoons each of dill and tarragon, chopped or 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped. (plus a small handful for topping)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
- pita chips, naan, crackers, crostini bread
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, olives, red onion, capers, garlic, dill and tarragon.
- Mix dressing ingredients well and pour half over tomato mixture, turning over gently. Add more if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place block of feta cheese in oven-proof dish. (cut in smaller portions for individual ramekins) Pour tomato mixture over cheese and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes. Top with fresh herbs and serve immediately with lemon wedges. (optional)