Many people are doing the happy dance these days because the first strawberries of the season are ready and boy, are they delicious! This delicious berry is a natural with chicken and I kept the flavours and ingredients simple because I wanted the berries to shine.
Those beautiful plump chicken breasts are from Nicholyn Farm and the juicy berries are from Barrie Hill Farms. When I heard the strawberries were ready this week I got out there as quickly as possible because they go fast!
I love Nicholyn Farms because their animals are raised without antibiotics or growth hormones, eat an all vegetable diet with no animal by-products and are treated with dignity and respect. Their beef cattle graze on pasture, the sheep enjoy fresh air and sunshine, and the chickens scratch in the earth.
This dish is as simple as roasting the chicken breasts – feel free to use thighs if you prefer – with a little balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. While it’s cooking, wash and cut your strawberries and combine them with basil and feta cheese. Goat cheese would be a nice option here. Top your chicken with the strawberry mixture and drizzle with a little more balsamic vinegar and you’ve got dinner.
I’ll be doing another strawberry recipe in a couple days and will be finding ways to use this delicious chicken in other dishes. It was so moist and tender and combined with the fresh strawberry mixture on top, I’m sure kids will be gobbling it up.
If you’re entertaining this weekend, this dish will save you a ton of time and you can grill the chicken. It’s elegant enough for guests yet quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
Are you doing the berry dance? What are your favorite berries? If you love to combine your fresh fruit with your proteins, snap a pic and share it with us here. I love to see what you’re up to. Cheers!
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
- 4-6 ounces of feta cheese, chopped or crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place chicken in baking pan, salt and pepper both sides and drizzle with half of the balsamic vinegar. Roast for 25-35 minutes depending on the thickness. Check to ensure the internal temp reaches 165 F. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, prepare strawberries, cheese and basil – combine in small bowl.
- Top chicken with strawberry mixture and drizzle with remaining balsamic vinegar. Serve