You know how you start craving different flavors with the change of each season? Once the warm weather hit, my new friend Paula had this unquenchable desire for blueberries and lemon and being the creative genius she is in the kitchen, she conjured up this healthy, flavorful and easy dessert. So of course it has to go on the blog, right? It’s got all those things we love – especially fresh and easy!
Paula serving up her amazing new dessert.
If you follow me on Instagram, you would have seen some pics of Paula’s soups to which I’m completely addicted! When I first popped into Paula’s store, SoupHerb Soups, I knew I would be friends with this talented and charming lady. We both share the same intense passion for food and her soups, stews and chilis are chock full of fresh ingredients with no preservatives. I’ll be taking some more photos of her dishes for her website soon and can’t wait to share them. For those of you not living in the Barrie area, I may have to find a way to pry a recipe or two from Paula and mail them out to you in a secret newsletter – they are THAT good!
Ok, on to the dessert – these pictures were taken on the fly because Paula and I were both so busy chatting that I forgot about taking more pics but these will give you a good look at this super delicious treat. This was the first taste test of her experiment and we were both delighted with the results.
Paula used Barrie Hill Farms frozen blueberries for this recipe and we both agreed that they are amazing. When you open up that package, the wonderful aroma of fresh berries greets you and you feel as though you’ve picked them that morning. Fabulous!
I was delighted when I discovered that Paula was selling her soups at the farm – boy, this is a small town sometimes! Nicholyn Farms also sells her soups in their café. So it seems that our collaboration on this dish was inevitable. Well, I can’t claim any credit – I just shot a couple pics and gobbled it down! Paula gave me a piece to take home and I ate it for breakfast the next morning!
I wanted to share this with you today because I thought it would make a great dessert for Father’s Day. Fresh strawberries are now available as well and they will make a lovely garnish on the side. Over the next few days I will be cooking up three special strawberry recipes and I can’t wait to share them with you. We’d love to hear if you try this! Happy Father’s Day!
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1.5 cups raw cashews
- 2 large lemons
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 can coconut milk (add a little more if you want it thick)
- 1 600 gram bag of Barrie Hill Farms Frozen blueberries or fresh if available.
- or 2.5 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Soak dates in warm water for 10 minutes, then drain
- Process nuts into a meal using food processor. Set aside.
- Process dates until small bits remain and it forms into a bal. Add nuts back into processor and blend until a loose dough forms. It should stick together when you squeeze a bit between you fingers.Too dry? Add more dates. Too wet? Add more almonds.
- Line a small baking dish with parchment paper and pack down the crust using your fingers. Place in freezer and let set.
- Soak in water 4-6 hours then drain. (note…to speed this process up, pour boiling hot water over cashews and soak for one hour).
- Juice and zest lemons. Place all filling ingredients into food processor and blend till smooth. For coconut milk, be sure to use the ‘cream’ part first as this makes the filling richer tasting then add the liquid after.
- Taste mixture to ensure it has a good lemony flavour. Add more lemon juice and zest if needed.
- Once mixture is to your liking, pour it into the cake pan, layering it over the crust evenly.
- Place all topping ingredients into a fry pan and sauté till blueberries soften Pour blueberry mixture over cashew cake and serve.
- Garnish on the side with additional fruit if desired.
Here’s a peek at some of Paula’s soups. This company is growing fast and before you know it, there will be a SoupHerb Soup near you! Thanks so much for sharing, Paula. It was such a pleasure visiting your beautiful home!
Tex Mex Soup
Creamy Tomato Soup
Potato Leek Soup