Oh my gosh I was so excited about this recipe and then I realized I made yet another soup! So should I start calling this blog, ‘Simply Soups’? Actually, I’m pretty sure you won’t mind one more before I move on to some other dishes because this one was super delicious and your kids are going to gobble up this big bowl of goodness.
Roasting brings out the sweetness in these wonderfully nutritious veggies and I included leeks and garlic with the tomatoes and carrots. Adding some organic veggie broth and lots of fun spices makes this soup dance on your taste buds!
If you like your soups creamier then you can add some coconut milk and puree it a little longer in your food processor or use your immersion blender. I find that little stick so handy!
The halloumi cheese croutons were kind of a whim because I love adding something a little different to my recipes and wow – they were definitely a nice touch. I bought the herbed type but if you can’t find that, just add a little parsley to the pan when you are sauteing the pieces. Once again, it’s all about texture for me and with a creamy soup I like a little crunch. If you want this dish to be vegan, skip the cheese.
Carrots are so important for our healthy bodies and especially for kids. If you want to read more about the benefits of these nutritious veggies, check out this post on the blog, Mom Junction.
Next up, I’ve got some fun hummus recipes, an easy chicken casserole and some salmon tacos that will blow your socks off! In the meantime, I want to hear from you about your favorite soups. Do you make your own? I’d love it if you shared your recipes here. Give this one a try – it’s spicy, fun and super satisfying. Cheers!
- 6 large carrots, peeled, cut into small equal 3 inches pieces
- 2 leeks, tear away outer leaves, slice white section into small pieces
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 cups low sodium, organic chicken broth
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a medium sized bowl mix carrots with 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, salt, pepper and a drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place on one side of baking sheet covered in foil.
- In same bowl combine tomatoes, leek and garlic. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. Add to same baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
- In large pot place roasted veggies, honey, curry powder, ginger, cumin, white wine and vegetable broth. Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- At this point you can use your immersion blender or food processor. If you like your soups super creamy, go for the food processor and add a little coconut milk. Taste as you puree and add spices and more liquid as needed.
- Return to pot and let simmer on low as you prepare the croutons.
- Cut halloumi cheese into small crouton sized pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in small saucepan on medium high heat. Saute cheese pieces for 3-4 minutes until crispy on both sides.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with halloumi croutons, parsley and a dollop of yogurt if desired.