I had lots of that delicious walnut pesto left so it was time to make a wonderful pasta dish with my favorite tomatoes. This dish comes together in twenty minutes and is packed with flavour and wonderful nutrients for your family!
I used my latest discovery again, Chickapea Pasta. I’m sold on this and I’m thrilled to let my US readers know that it will be launching in the US on October 1st but you can get it now on Amazon here. My friends with young kids are super excited about this pasta because so many of them loved just plain noodles in a bowl and now they know they’ll still be getting their protein and nutrients. Fabulous!
If you don’t have time to make my pesto, jarred is ok in a pinch. And the egg is optional as well but it just seemed to be calling out for one! This is one big, protein-packed bowl of scrumptiousness. I’ve used both kale and basil for greenery – shhh! – the kids won’t even notice. Shaved Parmesan or pecorino works well on top.
Are you getting your tomatoes from your local farms these days? I look forward to these all year long and next week I’m hoping for some time to make some marinara sauce with a bushel of these babies!
The spiral pasta is perfect for this because it grabs that pesto. You can roast the tomatoes in the oven while the pasta is cooking or saute them as I did. So many fun ways to do this dish and you can make it your own by adding mushrooms, peppers, eggplant, zucchini – whatever you happen to be craving that night.
I’m a bit of a pasta junkie so if you’re in the mood for more, take a peek here to see some of my past creations. And I want to see yours too so don’t forget to hashtag me on Instagram at #simplyfreshdinners so I can share your beautiful work. Cheers!
- 1/2 pound of spiral pasta
- 3 tablespoons [url href=”https://simplyfreshdinners.com/2016/08/16686.html” target=”_blank”]walnut pesto[/url] or regular jarred pesto
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, some halved, leave smaller ones whole
- pinch of red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or just 1 clove if you’re planning on some kissing!)
- 1 package of baby kale
- a handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions, reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and drain. Place noodles in bowl.
- Make pesto according to directions.
- In a large skillet heat one tablespoon of olive oil.over medium-high heat, add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook until tomatoes are blistered; 5-7 minutes. (Alternatively, you can roast the tomatoes for 5-10 minutes under 350 F)
- Add pesto to pasta and mix until well coated. Add pasta to tomatoes with kale, half the basil and pasta water and stir until warmed through and water is evaporated.
- While pasta is warming, cook your 4 eggs sunny side up.
- Serve immediately, topping each dish with one egg, chopped basil and parmesan cheese.