This Fiesta Taco Salad makes pasta night a whole lot more fun! Start with high protein Chickapea Pasta, made from chickpeas and lentils, and pile on the Mexican inspired toppings. Kid approved!
I’m excited about this post because it’s in celebration of so many wonderful things – family, national pride, birthdays and the first anniversary of the start of Chickapea Pasta! I became part of the Chickapea team shortly after they opened for business and I’ve loved watching them grow from a small business in a little town close to me to an international company that is growing by leaps and bounds. Watching them expand into the US and finding their way into peoples’ kitchens is very rewarding!
This was a fun collaboration that started with a taco bowl for lunch at a restaurant and ended up with me and the folks from Chickapea and Vitamin Sunshine creating a recipe that included our favorite pasta. The layers of flavor in this dish are going to blow your mind!
We used my recipe for Roasted Tomato Salsa and combined it with the black beans and pasta – fabulous right?
Topping this deliciousness with baby greens, tomatoes, avocado, corn, red onion and cheese takes this bowl to the next level in taste bud heaven! Squeezing some fresh lime juice over will make you deliriously happy with every bite!
You know I love having an insider’s view of your kitchen so snap a shot of what’s going on and share it with me on Instagram by hashtagging #simplyfreshdinners. Show off your mad culinary skills! Cheers 🙂
Happy Canada Day to our Canadian readers and Happy 4th of July to our American readers! Play safe!
Fiesta Taco Salad
Mix up pasta night with this high protein vegetarian dish. Chickapea pasta adds a fun dimension to typical taco salad ingredients.
- 4-6 brown rice or corn tortillas, large
- 1 box Chickapea Pasta spirals
- 1 15-ounce/450-mL can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups/350 mL Roasted Tomato Salsa (or a jar of your favorite) (https://simplyfreshdinners.com/2015/09/roasted-tomato-salsa.html)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon/1-2 mL sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/1 mL cumin
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 handfuls baby greens
- 4 mini sweet peppers (or spicy ones if you prefer)
- 2 ounces/60 grams cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 ear of corn, roasted and cut off cob
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (optional garnish)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional garnish)
If making the amazing Roasted Tomato Salsa from Simply Fresh Dinners (I recommend you do!), preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). In addition to roasting the veggies for this salsa, add the mini peppers to the baking sheet.
If using a different salsa to save time, preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Add the mini peppers to a small baking tray, and roast for 20 minutes.
To make taco bowls. use an oven-safe glass bowl, and mold tortillas into the bottom of the bowl. Brush lightly with olive oil. Add to the oven with roasted peppers or salsa veggies for just the last 12-14 minutes. Repeat until you have enough bowls.
Once salsa is prepared, prepare the toppings, including cutting tomatoes, onions, avocado and corn, and shredding the cheese.
Boil pasta per package directions. This pasta cooks faster than a typical pasta, and will feel undercooked while stirring when the pasta is actually ready, so after 5 or 6 minutes, taste the pasta. When cooked al dente, this pasta has a very similar texture to regular wheat pasta.
Drain and rinse pasta, then combine pasta, black beans, and salsa in a bowl, and mix to combine. Taste, and season with sea salt and cumin (my black beans were unsalted, so I found it needed a little more salt).
Layer the pasta and black bean mixture into the tortilla bowls. If not using the tortilla bowls (they are fun, but not necessary for a delicious dish!), add mixture directly onto a plate.
Top with tomatoes, baby greens, optional corn and onions, avocado, cheese, and roasted mini peppers. Squeeze a lime to boost the flavors.
Other Healthy Recipes with Chickapea Pasta:
- Blueberry and Broccoli Pasta Salad, from The View from Great Island
- Cajun Chicken Pasta, from The Girl on Bloor
- BLT Chickapea Pasta Salad, from Simply Fresh Dinners
- Grilled Peach and Vegetable Pesto Pasta, from Vitamin Sunshine
Don’t forget to Pin It!
*This post is sponsored however my opinions of this awesome pasta are strictly my own.
To celebrate our one year anniversary, we have a Giveaway with loads of fabulous prizes.
The giveaway includes:
- 1 case of Chickapea Pasta (2 spirals, 2 shells, 2 penne)
- 1 case of Uncle Steve’s organic pasta sauce (marinara, arrabiata, and tomato basil)
- 1 gorgeous pasta bowl from Dotti Potts Studio and Gallery
- 3 organic artisan oils from Capizzano Olive Oils and Vinegars