This is my favorite time of year for many reasons – green grass, the birds returning, leaves on the trees and best of all – fresh, local produce! I’m so excited to be working with Barrie Hill Farms again this season and now that the asparagus is finally ready (we actually had snowflakes this past weekend!!), I’ll be visiting each week to bring you fresh, seasonal recipes.
Asparagus seems to be growing in popularity on the internet. At this time of year, the are so many creative ways to use this delicious veggie and people are flocking to farmers’ markets to get their hands on some freshly picked ones. I am feeling that same inspiration that hit me last year each time I went to the market. Being surrounded by so much fresh-from-the-field produce just makes me happy!
All the best parts of a great dish – fresh ingredients, strong complementary flavors with a zing of lime that you’ll find addicting. The farm even sells Mexican Spiced Tortilla Chips made with Asparagus and they are awesome!
How gorgeous are these tomatoes and asparagus? It’s just calling out for a salsa!
If you don’t have a grill, you can roast the asparagus for this recipe. There are only a few ingredients but each one packs a punch. The taste is going to surprise you because the flavors meld together in an unexpected way. SO darn delicious!
- 1 lb asparagus – lightly grilled. Sliced to 1/4″
- 4 large tomatoes – diced 1/4 “
- 1 Serrano chili – finely chopped
- 4 green onion – sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro – roughly chopped
- 1 large lime – squeezed
- Salt and pepper – season to taste
- 1 garlic clove – finely chopped or crushed
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and leave for 30 minutes for ingredients to infuse. Serve with Asparagus Tortilla Chips.