Sometimes you just need a big old steak sandwich to bite into, right? The playoff season is here and everyone seems to work up an appetite from the couch so let’s eat big in a healthy way.
Yes, steak is healthy, veggies are healthy and even that delicious chimichurri sauce is healthy because I tweaked it without losing the deliciousness. The next time I make this I’ll definitely be making it with a whole grain bun but when you’re in a rush between Christmas and New Year’s in the grocery store good luck trying to find your favorite buns. This was my only choice so I figured one trip down decadent lane isn’t going to hurt me, right? We’ll keep it just between you and me!
Ideally, you can prepare this on your grill but given the temperature outside, a cast iron frying pan on high heat is ideal for this steak. Most importantly, preheat your cast iron pan for about 5 minutes. Nothing in it, just the pan. (Do NOT do this with a regular non cast iron pan). This is a grass-fed strip loin and the beauty of having such a great cut to start with is that all you need is salt and pepper. Remember, this doesn’t have to be an expensive meal because for a family of four, you’ll only need two steaks. This one steak cost $5.95 on sale. So we’re talking a very reasonably priced dinner!
If you’re using a cheaper cut like a flank steak, no problem. Just marinate in the fridge in a ziploc bag for about 3 hours with the juice of one lemon, salt, pepper and garlic.
I cooked this steak 3.5 minutes on each side and let it rest for 10 minutes tented with foil. Resting is crucial. If you’re new to cooking steak, rely on your thermometer. It’s always the best way and something I used all the time when I was learning to cook….and still do! You’ll want a temperature of 120F for medium rare steak.
I used yogurt instead of mayo in the chimichurri sauce and it was so darn delicious. Just a matter of combining the ingredients you see above and you can prepare this while your steak is resting.
I used a little Dijon as well and added tomatoes, onions and greens. Any kind of green will do, just pick your favorite.
I’ve started a YouTube channel so stay tuned for some videos. This one is my first effort and definitely needs some refining, ha! I forgot to trim the fat from the steak before cooking so keep that in mind. Moving lights around and trying to take shots of the steak while it was cooking I almost burned it! I thought I was a good multi-tasker but not so much.
This is going to make everyone happy and if you’re wanting to cut down further on calories, skip the top piece of bread or forgo it altogether. That way you can have an extra beer guilt-free. Cheers!
- 1 pound of steak
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cups leafy greens – lettuce, arugula, spinach or your favorite
- Dijon mustard
- Chimichurri Sauce
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup arugula, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Greek non-fat yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 4 whole wheat or whole grain buns
- Heat cast iron pan (if not grilling outdoors) on med-high heat for 5 minutes. Add butter and once melted add steak. Gently laying it down away from you so that you don’t get splattered. Cook 3-4 minutes per side depending on thickness. Internal temp should not exceed 120F for med-rare steak.
- Remove to cutting board and tent with foil for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your veggies and sauce.
- Slice tomatoes, onions and tear greens.
- Combine ingredients for chimichurri sauce in small bowl and mix well. Spread sauce on one or both sides of buns. (I used Dijon on one side)
- Layer lettuce, tomatoes and onions on top.
- Slice steak and place pieces on top of onions. Serve immediately.