All our photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission.
Picture ID: 24482187 – Standard license – depositphotos
So, I can bet some of you read the title and instantly went Ugh! Healthy French toast? This will not end well! But if you stick with me to the end and try this recipe, I know you’ll be pleasantly surprised and, of course, hooked! So, healthy French toast, huh? How unusual, but why though? Well, you know those types of foods that you love so much that you think everybody else in the world loves it too? And if you encounter somebody that hasn’t tried it or can’t consume it for maybe health reasons, you end up feeling so bad for them? Well, that’s how I found myself looking up healthy alternative ways of making French toast! After researching recipes online and adding my own twist to suit my own taste, I finally found and tweaked a recipe that I was happy with.
Despite what you all may think, I love this healthy version of French Toast for other reasons than just the irresistible taste. Do you know how they say meals taste better with good company? Don’t you? Well, if you don’t know anybody that says that, I genuinely believe that with every fiber of my being! It’s way more fun and delightful to eat with company than by yourself, and it’s even more fun when everybody is having the same meal. This inspired me to hunt for the ingredients to make my own version of healthy French toast.
Many persons are lactose intolerant or do not consume dairy for other reasons, so this may be your main reason for not eating French toast. However, I know some of you are thinking, what if I’m gluten-free, but my partner or family members are not?? Well, this recipe is still perfect for you! All you have to do is make the mixture and separate your portion needed to soak your gluten-free bread. Whether you like to do it on the stove, on a flat top grill, or in the oven, I guarantee you will love it!
My favorite thing about this recipe is it can be adjusted to be consumed by everyone. So, if you have an allergy or do not eat an ingredient listed in the recipe, go ahead and substitute it for another ingredient similar to the one you are replacing as possible. This way, your French toast will taste practically the same as this.
Ok! I can take a hint! I’ve said enough, it’s time for the recipe! I would say I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, but I think I can be a bit presumptuous and say I am confident that you will!
Healthy French Toast
- 10 slices whole-grain or gluten-free bread thickly sliced
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1½ cups almond milk or skim milk
- 1 tbsp Pure maple syrup sweetening
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract pure or organic if available
- Olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup fresh fruits of your liking bananas, berries, pineapples
- Additional cinnamon for sprinkling
- Additional maple syrup for topping
- Whisk together egg whites, milk, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract and, almond extract. Sweeten with maple syrup. Pour into a shallow mixing bowl.
- Place skillet on medium heat. Spray or brush with oil. Dip two pieces of bread at a time into the egg mixture. Ensure that both sides of the bread slices are coated. Allow the excess mixture to drip off.
- Cook bread for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with fruits and maple syrup.