All our photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission.
Picture ID: 47709405 – Standard license – Depositphotos
Remember when we could go outside? Me too, such good times. Now that’s we’re safe inside. It’s hard not to go crazy eating meal time favorites often. So, today I’m flipping your mashed beans served as hummus script. Because I’m sure, your taste buds would welcome the flavorful change of Ful (pronounced ‘fool’) Medames. Its other spelling is Foul Mudammas. And it’s something different to pair with your meals.
Originally an Egyptian recipe, Ful Medames has made its way onto Middle Eastern tables. It is a bean dip made of cooked fava beans seasoned with a combination of cumin and olive oil and options of tomatoes, onions, lemons, parsley, garlic, cucumbers, and yogurt. You can serve Ful in a lettuce cup with any carb like bread, rice, or naan. A quick, satisfying breakfast alternative to toast or a bowl of cereal.
To keep the recipe under 30 minutes, I used canned beans. If you prefer fresh fava beans from the farmers market, leave them overnight to soak and soften. While some like their beans whole, I like chopping up tomatoes, crip onions, and garlic and mashing them together with the fava beans, olive oil, cumin, and vegetable stock. Vegetable stock or tomato sauce is a low salt choice to the juice that comes with canned beans.
Ful also goes well with your health goals. Fava beans are highly nutritious. It is an inexpensive source high in lean protein and nutrient-dense in thiamin, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, potassium, copper, selenium, zinc, and magnesium.
Just one serving has a high concentration of folate, iron, manganese, and dietary fiber. Besides, it is only 299 calories per serving. You can’t go wrong with these benefits.
A tasty reminder of Spring. Its tinder texture is easily complemented by seasonal ingredients. Ful Medames will surely keep everyone at home happy! If you’re ready to try this one, I’ve included my recipe below.
Hearty Ful Medames
- 1 can fava beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 small onion diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup vegetable broth or canned liquid
- 1 small tomato chopped
- ¼ cup falt-leaf parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon of preferred seasonings such as yogurt chili pepper, sweet peas and mint
- salt to taste
- Side options include chips bread, hard-boiled eggs, salad, pitas, taco shell, pricked vegetables, and naan
- Drain and place the bean in a bowl.
- Mash the beans with a fork until they are the consistency you want.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, cumin, lemon juice, and salt, and cook for 5 minutes on medium. While stirring add your choice of liquid can be either chicken broth, vegetable broth, canned liquid or olive oil. Add slowly until reaching the desired consistency.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste and then plate in a bowl. Use a spoon to make some waves on the surface for presentation. Cover with more olive oil, drizzle additional choices of seasoning and serve with preferred sides.