We all look forward to the holiday season for one reason or another, whether it is to see friends and loved ones or to have home-cooked meals and explore exciting recipes. Today’s recipe is super fun and easy to prepare. Laksa is excellent for the shrimp lovers out there and all who want to stay warm on these cold winter days. This dish that originated in Malaysia is a mixture of spicy, creamy, and bursting with flavor.
What else could one ask for? Laksa is delicious, healthy, skillfully created, and will entice the entire family. Since many cannot travel this holiday season, let us create in our kitchens the taste and smell of one of Malaysia’s famous dishes. You will not have much to do as after the main ingredients are prepared, only the flavorful and delicious laksa paste will be left to be added.
One great reason for liking soups is not only because it keeps you warm, but it also has all the nutrients and blends from the ingredients, deliciously combined. Therefore, whether you choose to have your soup as an appetizer or a meal in itself, you can be sure it will be nutritious. The ingredients used to create Laksa are locally sourced and may even be found around the house right now. If you cannot find it, all you would need is a quick run to your local grocer.
Every country that one can think of has its variation of soup. Some are thick, while others are thin. Some are loaded with tones of ingredients, while others are light yet satisfying. You will find that Laksa is an excellent combination of the two. It is not too thick and not too loaded. It has just the right amount of richness and body for you to be filled without overeating and feeling as if you have consumed too much.
There is just the right amount of protein, carbohydrate, and sodium to have your body feeling great. Laska will allow you to take your mind off health conditions for a while and will allow even those who are generally picky to find something to eat.
For example, if you are allergic to shrimp or are not a fan of chicken, we always like finding great alternatives that would work just as great. You can use only chicken in your meal; you can try using pre-cooked chicken like a rotisserie chicken. Some people like a little more spice, or some prefer not as much. This Asian meal can even be made vegetarian. This is all okay as this dish is so easy to manipulate and very hard to get wrong. Take a walk on your adventurous side and create something beautiful for your family.
After you have proven yourself as a gourmet chef, all of which is left to do is garnish your meal and serve immediately. We add at the end of the recipe to serve hot because this is when the meal’s flavor and aroma will be most evident. And you will find that leaving coconut milk and curry to sit for an extended period before consumption may throw off the consistency.
Be sure to share and let us know how your Laksa turned out and what alternatives you used, if any. Have fun creating this unique dish, and enjoy.
LAKSA - Coconut Curry Soup with Shrimp and Chicken
- 4 cups organic low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb chicken breast fillets cut into strips and trimmed
- 1½ oz Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- ½ lb brown rice vermicelli noodles
- 12 large shrimp peeled and cooked
- Garnish For Meal:
- 2 green onions sliced diagonally
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed fresh coriander mint leaves, or a mixture of both
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Chili paste Sambal
- Add the chicken stock to a saucepan, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, brown chicken in portions, and put aside.
- Add the curry paste to the saucepan; saute for 60 seconds over medium heat. Stir sauce until the aroma is evident.
- Add coconut milk and chicken stock. After bringing to a boil, lower heat; allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; after this.
- Crush noodles to the desired size with fingers, add to boiling water; prevent noodles from sticking by stirring. Cook noodles for 4 to 6 minutes; until noodles are cooked to your desire. Drain well.
- Add noodles, chicken, and shrimp into four separate bowls and pour soup mixture on top.
- Add garnishes and serve while hot.