I wanted to call this 4 Peppercorn Shrimp with a Little Bit of Salt but Google doesn’t like it when you make the title too long. What you do need to know is that this is the easiest appetizer you can make over the holidays and it will look so lovely on your table.
The trick is in the roasting. I have tossed my saute pan aside in favor of roasting my shrimp for some time now because I love the tender, juicy results. I didn’t even take the shells off for this recipe but if you’re worried about your guests having to peel them before eating, feel free to roast them without the shell. For that matter, if you’re a die hard saute-er, that’s cool too.
I used a 4 peppercorn blend like this one that was just perfect. You’ll find a variety of them in your spice section. This contained Malabar black peppercorns, Muntok white peppercorns, green peppercorns and pink peppercorns. It sounded so beautifully exotic that I just had to buy it!
If you’re entertaining you can toss these in some olive oil, salt and peppers before the guests arrive and then it’s a simple 8 minutes in the oven and they’re done. You can also switch up the cilantro with parsley if that’s your thing. Lots of folks tell me they think cilantro tastes like soap. I think of that every time I eat it now but it doesn’t stop me, ha!
I am struggling with my photography again so please don’t linger on the images too long, lol. It’s all a learning experience and one day I’ll get there!
Oh, before I forget, I wanted to let everyone know that I have a Pinterest group board called Healthy Scrumptious Salads that you’ll want to check out. Many of my talented blogger friends are pinning their gorgeous creations and it’s become a wonderful resource for me during this busy season of entertaining.
I added some scallions and garlic to this dish when I was cooking it for the first time mainly because I love roasted garlic. If you’re preparing it as an app for a large group, I’d leave them out. The recipe is party sized and easily halved.
- 2 pounds shrimp, deveined. (shells on or off, your choice)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and peppercorns to taste (if you don’t have a grinder, place peppercorns on cutting board, cover with clean cloth and mash with bottom of frying pan – a fun way to get rid of any anger you’ve got going on, lol)
- small handful of cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 small scallion, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- In large bowl combine shrimp, olive oil and salt and peppercorns. Be gentle with the shrimp.
- Place on a tin foil covered baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.
- Mix with cilantro or parsley and serve.