I made another trip last week to Barrie Hill Farms and came away with the most delicious corn ever! This particular variety is called Gourmet Sweet “274”, and I highly recommend giving it a try.
I wanted to do a little something different taste-wise this time around and change up my cooking method as well. I usually soak the corn in milk for 30 minutes or so before boiling it but that just seems so boring sometimes. I love it on the grill but starting up the grill for just one thing is sometimes a pain and other times the grill is too crowded with fish and chicken and veggies. Enter the oven method! Have you ever tried this before? This was my first time and it sure won’t be my last.
I cleaned it up a little by cutting the end off and removing a few loose strips. I just wanted to ensure that the silken ends didn’t flame up. Put them directly on the rack at 350 F for 30 minutes and they’re done. Super simple, super delicious.
The pics below are pretty terrible. I forgot about the steam and didn’t realize they would affect the image so badly – ha! The great thing about this method is that you can peel back the husks so easily and the silk goes with it – no mess! Do be careful about the steam though – they’ll be very hot.
The recipe for the butter comes from Better Homes and Gardens and it was just what I was looking for! The smoked paprika and lime add a distinct flavour that perfectly complements the corn. I cut the salt quantity in half but otherwise didn`t change a thing.
If you`re just a butter, salt and pepper kind of guy/gal, that works too. I have a friend who loves to dip his lime into some salt and squeeze it as he runs it along the corn and I`m going to try that next time.
I hope you can find some good local corn in your area and try this. I`m sure it will be a big hit. Cheers, everyone!
- Fresh ears of corn, unpeeled and in husks.
- SMOKY LIME BUTTER
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place rack in center position of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut off any silk hanging out the ends. Trim any tips of leaves extending from sides. Do not peel.
- Place ears of corn directly on oven rack. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove corn from oven. Let cool for a few minutes before peeling back the husks. It’s hot so be careful!
- SMOKY LIME BUTTER
- Combine butter, zest from half the lime, and juice of whole lime. Stir in cilantro, salt, smoked paprika, and pepper. Transfer butter mixture to a serving bowl.