Ready for fresh servings of summer on your plate? I know I am! I’ve got a brightly colored recipe that’s bursting with natural sweetness. Spread roasted tomatoes on bread like bruschetta or layer on top of baked poultry for a savory weekday dinner. It’s perfect for appetizers, meal combos, and pasta sauce.
Because who doesn’t love a flavorful and adaptable heart-healthy dish, that takes around 20 minutes from start to finish. With calories of only 67 calories per serving. More great news for you, as a one-pot dish, herb-roasted tomatoes require minimal ingredients and are amazingly juicy.
If you’ve bought one, too many canned crushed tomatoes, or have tomatoes lurking in your backyard garden, you’re a few minutes away from delicious delights. Tomatoes not only blend well with spices but pack tons of antioxidants and vitamins C.
Every summer, cherry and cocktail tomatoes never fail to litter my countertops. And since these tomatoes are so small, I roast them on the stove in a cast iron pan instead of the oven. So, there’s no need to preheat an oven. Can you tell, this makes me even more excited?!
There’s no hard and fast rule with roasted tomatoes. It’s okay to use your favorite herb pantry staples. Satisfy your love of garlic or cheese (hello, parmesan). And take advantage of mixing the beautiful yellow, green, and red colors of tomatoes.
With the measured herbs out and the tomatoes prepared to go before you start roasting, the cooking process goes by quickly. Once everything is in the pot, you’ll only have to toss occasionally. The gentle heat is enough to bring out the tangy, sweetness in each bite.
From there, your herb-roasted tomatoes is a vegan, gluten-free side to any dish. Or delightful homemade sauce for hearty soups, chili, & stews, simple salads & omelets, fun tacos & enchiladas, delicious rice & pasta dishes, and nourishing one-pot/sheet pan recipes.
When pureed it makes a tomato-intense pizza or pasta sauce. I like the sound of that too. If you’d like, garnish with some cheese on top. Be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you liked it. You can also share a photo of your creation on Instagram with the hashtag #simplyfreshcreations. Enjoy.
Roasted Herb Tomatoes
- 12-20 cherry tomatoes whole
- 4 tablespoon extra-virgin oil
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 3 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or parsley chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ ground black pepper
- ¼ red pepper flakes optional
- Lightly oil a saute pan large enough to hold all the tomatoes in one layer.
- Arrange tomatoes in the pan. Add herbs and seasonings, to taste, spread the mixture evenly.
- Place on the stove at low heat and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the tomatoes start to pop. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the stove.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil and thyme/parsley to garnish.
- Serve hot or place in a storage container at room temperature.