I cannot get enough of roasted veggies in the fall and winter and I’m always looking for new ways to serve them. If I’m on my own, I’m happy to just cook up whatever is in the fridge, toss it in a bowl and call it dinner but I think this solution makes for a nice variety and better presentation.
I used olive oil, balsamic vinegar (for a bit of a bite), crushed garlic and salt and pepper on these and was thrilled with the outcome. You can change up the veggies to whatever suits your taste and if you don’t care for spinach, try some radicchio or arugula. It’s just a matter of roasting your favourites in the oven for 35 minutes and then tossing in the greens and nuts.
For some extra flavour and colour, I steamed some green beans and added them as well. I love fresh, crisp beans, they really amp up a dish. I used rosemary but you can use thyme, savory, or any other favourite. It’s always fun to experiment with the flavours and roasting veggies brings out the very best in produce.
Have a great week, everyone. Cheers!
Roasted Vegetable Salad
Serves: 6 (side salad)
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 eggplant, cut into lengthwise slices
- 2 bell peppers – orange, yellow or red
- 11/2 cups of mushrooms, halved (quartered if large)
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 cups of fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, thyme, savory, sage or wild fennel (you pick!)
- handful of pine nuts or whatever nut you prefer. I used roasted, unsalted pumpkin seeds.
- 3 cups spinach, arugula or radicchio
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine, zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, mushrooms, red onion and garlic in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, stirring well. Pour over vegetable mixture and toss gently to coat. Spray a baking sheet or pan and place veggies on it, spreading them out to ensure even roasting.
- Roast for 20 minutes and add cherry tomatoes and thyme. Toss gently and roast an additional 10 minutes.
- Steam or boil green beans for 3 minutes, drain and immerse into bowl of ice water until beans are bright green. Pat dry and add with nuts and spinach to veggie mixture. Serve immediately.