It’s no secret that I love my pasta – I don’t even try to hide it. I eat it year round and I figure if you add healthy ingredients, it all evens out -right? Well, sort of. You can do things to improve it by purchasing gluten-free, oat bran, barley meal, or rice pasta. And it doesn’t have to be left out of your diet as long as you keep portion control in mind.
My favourite types of pasta in the warmer months are ones in which you can just cook the pasta and add fresh ingredients. This one does just that and requires so little work in order to have a fresh meal on your table during a busy week night.
Smoked salmon has all the same health benefits of salmon but it has a pretty hefty dose of sodium so go easy on it. Combining it with avocado and lemon is the best way to go.
Also known as the alligator pear, the avocado is a nutrient dense food with almost 20 vitamins and minerals. It is the only fruit that provides a substantial amount of monounsaturated fat (the good kind). These fats keep you feeling full and satisfied because when you consume fat, your brain receives a signal to turn off your appetite. Eating these fats helps slow the breakdown of carbohydrates into sugar, which helps keep the sugar levels in your blood stable. The point being – eat your avocados! 🙂
I found this recipe on taste.com.au and for once, didn’t change a thing. The Australians sure do know how to eat well and I always find a lot of inspiration there. This is perfect for lunch with the girls, don’t you think? If you’re not a fan of seafood, I have an easy linguine dish with cheese, nuts, olives and fresh herbs. Sounds crazy, I know, but it works!
I hope you’re all starting to experience some warmer weather (it snowed here 2 days ago!) and you’ll give this a try. Cheers!
- 375g dried linguine pasta
- 100g smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup pure cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Extra chopped fresh dill, to serve
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Return to pan.
- Add salmon, avocado, dill, cream and parmesan to pasta. Cook, tossing, over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir through lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between bowls. Serve topped with extra chopped dill.