All our photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission.
Picture ID: 54996521 – Standard license – Depositphotos
Soup is the constant companion to meals that contain meat or poultry, and frankly, these meals would be very deficient if we take the soup off the menus.
There are those who prefer chicken soup over meat or vegetable soup and vice versa. As for me, I prefer chicken soup, I also prefer the flavor of chicken in general. The soup is served hot, and salt is added to it, the amount of added salt is up to you and to your eating habits, and sometimes some medical recommendations require you to adhere to a small amount of salt.
The soup that was tried today is characterized by two things, and I can say two advantages because adding them together was a great idea, the first is the spicy flavor, adding a spicy flavor to the food may be a bad idea at times and a great idea at other times. Still, in this dish, it was great without a doubt.
The second feature is the vegetables that completed this dish to make it fit to be a meal adding great nutritional benefits and a vegetarian touch.
Spicy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 jar spicy tomato sauce organic with no add sugars
- 2 cups free-range low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen vegetable mix such as zucchini, squash, carrots, bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet potato cubes fresh would work too
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chilies organic with no added sugars
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon or more red chili pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded (rotisserie chicken works great here too)
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat add tomato sauce, chicken broth, frozen vegetables of choice, frozen sweet potato, onion, diced tomatoes with chilies, garlic, basil, sea salt, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer for 10 – 15 minutes stirring often. Stir in shredded chicken and cover and simmer for 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Taste and season as desire with additional sea salt or if you want more spice additional red pepper flakes.