I promised to make more quick and easy weeknight dinner dishes and this spicy, sticky chicken is only going to take 10 minutes of prep and 40 minutes in the oven. It’s a nice change up in flavor and will go beautifully with quinoa, freekah or brown rice.
Sticky chicken has been around forever and the recipe has been tweaked many, many times over the years. My recipe is simple yet super flavorful. The marinade sticks to the chicken and both adults and children are going to call this ‘finger licking good’!
I don’t normally cook chicken with the skin on but I did this time for two reasons. It keeps the meat super moist and it’s significantly cheaper at the grocery store. You can buy it this way and remove the skin at home or you can cook it with it on and then remove it before eating. Of course, you can choose to do this with wings, drumsticks or breasts as well. Depending on the size of the breasts, you cooking time might vary.
You’ll want to put a couple nicks in each thigh before marinating the night before. If you put this in your baking dish and pour over the marinade and cover, you’ll just have to pull it out and toss it in the oven next day for dinner. Let it warm up a little first, of course, but this dish is in the super simple category, right? Add the cashews and green onions five minutes before you finish baking this deliciousness and you’ve got yourself an awesome meal.
Be sure to check that the internal temperature is 165 F when your timer goes off. If you’re finding that the chicken is browning too quickly but not cooked yet, cover lightly in foil and continue.
A side dish of steamed carrots and broccoli would be perfect with this along with your rice. If you make this dish, tag me on Instagram – I’d love to share it with the world. Cheers!
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese 5 spice powder
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 10 shakes of hot sauce, optional (your choice – I used tabasco sauce)
- freshly ground black pepper, a couple turns of your grinder
- 1 bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 2 ounces of unsalted cashews
- Arrange the chicken thighs in a roasting pan, skin side up. Use a knife to cut 2-3 small slices in each thigh.
- Combine Chinese 5 spice powder, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, balsamic vinegar, garlic, ginger and tabasco sauce. Stir well and pour over chicken. Cover pan and refrigerate overnight. If unable to do overnight, marinate a minimum of 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Roast for 35 minutes, basting once. Add green onion and cashews and roast an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.