Everyone was so enthusiastic about the yummy Balsamic Chicken with Strawberries, Basil and Feta Cheese dish that I thought I’d make a salad from the leftovers. You’ll see many of the same flavors here but with the added bonus of some fresh herbs, nuts and more berries. Sound good?
It was! I went a little crazy with the ingredients after I saw this in Better Homes and Garden’s magazine. This edition is titled Skinny One-Dish. Yes, I am one of those people who buy magazines when they are checking out at the grocery store – terrible habit! At least I’m not tossing The National Enquirer into my basket, lol. I couldn’t help myself – this one really caught my attention.
Those are all my little post-it notes – there’s a lot of inspiration in there! Often times I will see a dish that sparks all kinds of other ideas or perhaps I’ll just want to change up two or three ingredients and this month’s issue was a real gold mine.
BHG suggested the addition of watermelon and toasted pecans and it really took the salad over the top. I added some blueberries and fresh mint and before you know it there was a taste explosion in the bowl!
You’ll see in the pic below they also served it in a watermelon. Wouldn’t that make a gorgeous presentation at a party?
I love that I could utilize some of the leftovers in my fridge for this dish and I’m not finished – two more dishes coming up where I’ve been able to save money and create new flavors with some of these ingredients. Cheers!
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 2-3 pound seedless baby watermelon
- 2 cups quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken breast
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- For Drizzle, in a small saucepan combine vinegar and honey. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Simmer for 7 to 8 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Cut watermelon crosswise into 1 inch slices; remove the flesh from slices (reserve rind to serve, if desired). Cut flesh into 1/2 inch cubes or use melon baller and place in large bowl. Add strawberries, chicken, red onion, basil, and cheese; mix very gently. Cover and chill about 45 minutes.
- If serving with spinach, divide spinach among chilled salad plates. Spoon the chicken mixture on top. Top each with a drizzle and a sprinkling of pecans.