I am a pasta addict. I fight it and I win for awhile but I always fall back onto my bad ways. Well, no more! I finally got my hands on some quinoa pasta and it’s awesome! I cooked it up with some ribbons of zucchini and carrot and this dish of yumminess was born!
I love that you can enjoy a generous bowl of this and still enjoy that ‘clean’ feeling afterwards. You can’t get that with regular pasta and this is packed with nutrition.
I came up with this idea after chatting with my friend, Linda, while she was planning her next fabulous dinner party. We were talking pasta and I immediately started thinking of ways to make it healthier. I’ve got a seafood pasta casserole brewing in my head as well and hope to bring that to you soon. Thanks for the inspiration, Linda!
The carrot and zucchini ribbons are simply made with your every day potato peeler. Just peel from top to bottom of your veggie while keeping it flat. You can make them wide or narrow, your choice. Pop the ribbons in with the pasta in the last minute of cooking – it’s that easy!
I did not include tomato paste in my recipe but if you like yours a little thicker, feel free. I am not a fan of tomato paste and unless someone is twisting my arm, I usually leave it out. I used fresh herbs in this but if you don’t have fresh basil or oregano this is one of those rare occasions that I’ll give you a pass. But just this once! Fresh parsley on top is a must though.
If you want this gluten-free, be sure to get fresh parmesan and not the pre-shredded stuff because they will often included modified starch to prevent it from sticking together.
- 12 ounces quinoa spaghetti noodles
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 1 large zucchini, peeled into ribbons
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (11/2 teaspoons, dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped (11/2 teaspoons, dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in large saucepan and saute onion, pepper, garlic and celery until soft; 5-6 minutes. Add turkey, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until turkey is no longer pink. Add tomatoes and reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering cook quinoa spaghetti according to package instructions. Add zucchini and carrot ribbons to pot for one minute at end. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Add pasta and ribbons to bolognese sauce and simmer covered for 3-4 minutes. Remove lid and plate individually. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.