More Soup! Ha! This time I have a good reason, I swear! And you’ll thank me because this is utterly divine, delish, delectable, delightful and umm…..ok, there’s no more ‘d’ words in my thesaurus for food descriptions. It’s just damn good, folks!
This recipe was made at the spur of the moment because I had some leftover quinoa from the lasagna I made earlier this week. Good excuse for soup, right? I wanted to make a high protein soup so added some red beans and then lost all perspective after that. In went the tomatoes, corn, peas, butternut squash, spinach, cilantro and anything else I could find in the fridge.
GoGoQuinoa is offering my readers an exclusive coupon code to purchase the quinoa I used for this recipe. Just type in GOGOFRESHDINNERS in the coupon code box and you’ll receive 15% off the purchase price until December 14, 2015. Fabulous!
I love it when these kind of meals come together just the way you want. As you’re adding ingredients you begin to see the colors and flavors forming and it’s time for a happy dance! Turn up the tunes, crack open a bottle of wine and celebrate the joy of fresh food!
I scored big with the tortilla chips too because they are gluten free, whole grain and super yummy. Take a moment and visit the organic section in your grocery store to find a healthy chip, it’s worth it!
The next dish is also one I’ve devised from leftovers – mussels, butternut squash and spinach pasta. Maybe even a squid ink pasta? Ha! I see you squinting your eyes! Come on, let’s be adventurous and create a reason for another happy dance….and a glass of wine. Cheers!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1.5 tablespoons sriracha (1.5 teaspoons red pepper flakes if you don’t have sriracha)
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, cut into small chunks
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 28 oz can of red kidney beans
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well in colander
- large handful of fresh spinach, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish options, sliced tomatoes, tortilla chips, yogurt, avocado, fresh cilantro
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes until soft. Add sriracha, oregano, cumin and cook for one minute.
- Add tomatoes, jalapeno, bell pepper, carrots, butternut squash and 2 cups of broth, bringing it to a boil for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining broth, beans, corn, peas and quinoa. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Check to see if it requires additional salt or pepper.
- Stir in spinach for two minutes at end and remove from heat.
- Serve with garnish options.